About The College
Nirmala Niketan stands for academic excellence whereby young women are equipped to meet successfully the challenges of family life as well as those from the professional world of a changing modern India.
The College of Home Science is a grant-in-aid Institute with the University of Mumbai and offers education in Home Science to Christian Women in particular and others too, irrespective of their caste, creed and colour. Though the curricula is revised from time to time, this Institution stands for a socially relevant education that awakens the students’ sense of social responsibility to reach out and share their knowledge and skills with more vulnerable sections of society.
College of Home Science, Nirmala Niketan, is a Christian Minority Institution. Managed by a Society, registered under the Societies Registration Act, 1860 and a Public Trust Act 1950 and all of those who are members of the congregation of the Daughters of the Heart of Mary in India.
The Society is managed by a governing Body whose Ex-officio Chairperson is the Provincial of the Province of India of the Daughters of the Heart of Mary.
The College is located in the heart of the Mumbai city and is easily accessible since it is within walking distances both from the Western and Central railway terminus.
View on map
Vision of the College
The college aims at the total development of Indian Women, by providing learning opportunities to empower them with knowledge, skills and attitudes, to face personal and professional challenges with confidence, inculcating values of respect, commitment and concern for the service of others, thereby enabling them to make a positive contribution to the society in the 21st century.
Goals of the College
The college aims at the development of Indian Women through an education that is...
Life - Oriented
Career - Oriented
Community - Oriented
Mission of the College
- To work dedicatedly towards women's empowerment through socially-relevant, holistic, interdisciplinary education.
- To sensitize students to the needs of others, especially of those less advantaged, and foster a service orientation.
- To respect egalitarian justice, use participatory governance, and build capacity among students and staff.
- To continually innovate and deliver a curriculum that is globally valuable, locally relevant, and responsive to changing times and needs.
- To forge and enhance linkages with communities and organisations at multiple levels (e.g., local, regional, national, and international).
- To contribute to the national and international knowledge base in Home Science and allied fields.
Core Values of the College
- Building strong independent women with a deep sense of national loyalty and commitment to nation building.
- Our education allows students to enroll overseas for Higher education and our alumnae occupy eminent positions globally.
- Values of respect, honesty, service to society, tolerance for all religions are woven into the fabric of our curriculum. Our motto "Kindle the Lamp of Light with thy Life" is put into practice by one and all.
- All systems of teaching, learning, examinations, administration, financial transactions, MIS are in place with constant upgradation of ICT.
- We believe in constant improvement, and hence Excellence is a prevailing attitude with us at Nirmala Niketan.